Mentally healthier council areas
Manifesto ideas for the 2022 local authority elections
8 March 2022
Local councils have a huge impact on the mental health of their communities. Ahead of local elections in May, our briefing set out tangible actions for all council candidates to commit to, to improve mental health and reduce inequalities in their local area.
Mentally healthier council areas highlights four domains (below) within which local councillors/government can improve their communities’ mental health:
1. Reduce poverty
- Get Living Wage Foundation accredited
- Adopt social value procurement
- Commission sufficient high quality, accessible money and other advice
- Improve your Council Tax Support scheme.
2. Improve the environment
- Provide more genuinely affordable, decent housing
- Use licensing powers to reduce access to cheap alcohol
- Create physically healthy environments
- Create and support community spaces and events.
3. Support the best start in life
- Give children and families effective help in the early years
- Support your local schools to boost children’s mental health
- Fund early support hubs for young people
- Tackle racism and discrimination.
4. Ensure access to quality services
- Commit your council to ‘parity of esteem’
- Invest in high quality substance misuse (drug and alcohol) services
- Boost social care services for adults with mental health difficulties
- Take vital steps to prevent suicide deaths.
Join us in the fight for equality in mental health
We're dedicated to eradicating mental health inequalities. But we can't do it without your support.
Please take this journey with us - donate today.