Equality in mental health: Strategy 2021-2025
1 July 2021
"No health without justice, no quality without equality"
Centre for Mental Health is an independent, not for profit thinktank. We are dedicated to eradicating mental health inequalities and fighting injustice by changing policy and practice.
We have been at the heart of some of the most important changes in policy and practice including government investment in the NHS (through the Five Year Forward View and Long Term Plan), widespread adoption of mental health support in workplaces, maternal mental health provision, liaison and diversion services, planned reform of the Mental Health Act, and importantly in the pursuit of mental health equality.
We take a five-pronged approach to our work:
- Policy analysis and advocacy
- Side by side evaluation, design and implementation
- Economic analysis
- Communication and dissemination
- Lived experience.
We have five high level goals:
- To secure a whole government strategy for mental health and neurodiversity including housing, social security, health, business, justice, defence and the environment. This strategy will also future proof against global crises that have a direct impact on society’s mental health.
- To enable national, local and regional government to deal with the things we know make people ill, including poverty, racism, discrimination, exclusion, poor housing, and punitive welfare systems.
- To ensure that every child has a fair chance in life, and secure an increase in investment into early years support.
- To ensure that people with mental health difficulties and neurodiversity get quality and values-driven health and social care services, including physical health, work, housing and other basic needs.
- To work within the criminal justice system to develop the best evidence for prevention, safe and secure prisons and resettlement to ensure people entering into the pathway have their mental and physical health needs met.
To learn more about who we are, what we do and how we're working to achieve our goals, read the full strategy.
We're fighting for equality in mental health. But we can't do it without your support.
Will you stand with us today?
Your support, however big or small, helps us make a huge difference.
Join us in the fight for equality in mental health
We're dedicated to eradicating mental health inequalities. But we can't do it without your support.
Please take this journey with us - donate today.